Responsible Recycling (R2) Practices
Understanding the Responsible Recycling (R2) Practices
The Responsible Recycling or R2Practices is specially designed for electronic recyclers and it sets forth the standards for environmental, health and safety, and security requirements applicable in the electronic recycling industry. R2 focuses on end-of-life electronics recycling with a special focus on the downstream of recycled materials.
Why Your Organization Needs the R2 Practices Certification?
Obtaining the R2 Practices certification gives your customers the reassurance that your company employs only responsible recycling methods. The certification helps to verify that the electronic recycling company is responsible for the ultimate disposition of end-of-life and used electronic equipment that are managed by the company. At the same time, the standard helps the electronic recyclers highlight their performance and values to their customers.
R2 Certification Requirements
R2 certification requirements include establishing and using an Environmental Health and Safety Management System and being certified to an accredited management standard like RIOS (Recycling Industry Operating Standard) or ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
Among the requirements, R2 certification requires electronic recyclers to:
- Develop and be certified to an accredited environmental, health and safety management system (EHSMS);
- Develop, document and implement procedures for managing environmental, health and safety;
- Develop a recycling procedure based on ‘reuse, recover, dispose’ hierarchy;
- Comply with all legal and other requirements;
- Identify environmental, health and safety risks;
- Develop, document and implement emergency preparedness procedure;
- Develop, document and implement data security and eradication procedures; and,
- Communicate the policy and set procedures throughout the organization.
Benefits of getting R2 certified
- Improves downstream due-diligence for customers with end-of-life electronics;
- Improves recycler’s competitive edge;
- Reduces long term costs and liabilities by implementing preventive action procedures;
- Improves public confidence through third party auditing; and,
- Displays the recycler’s compliance with domestic and international laws related to waste handling and trade.
For more information on R2 Practices certification, training, and compliance, contact the R2 consultants at GlenView Group.GlenView Group, Inc. core consultants have 20+ years of experience in the electronic waste recycling industry and have comprehensive knowledge of both domestic and international laws and regulations related to waste handling and trade.